This is the next revision my tenets – the core code I strive to live by. I'm not perfect – but overall getting clarity on these is helping me make better decisions with less effort.
The revisions in this version came after meeting with a friend in Salt Lake City who is starting a company who's vision I believe in. As a result, I'm adding to them in order to reflect my desire to assist and enable those who's goals and mission resonate with my own.
The beauty of these Tenets is that they can continually evolve based on experiences and encounters throughout life – whether reading a book or having a profound conversation.
This quote also hit home with what I aim to achieve:
“When you first start to study a field, it seems like you have to memorize a zillion things. You don't. What you need is to identify the core principles — generally three to twelve of them — that govern the field. The million things you thought you had to memorize are simply various combinations of the core principles.”
I encourage you to make your own version – and you're welcome to use mine as a starting point.
I will continue to refine until they are clear and concrete. You can always find the latest version here: My Tenets
You can find older versions and see how they've evolved here: Older versions of my Tenets
Lastly – I think a lot about systems and aim to document them in a way that is useful to you. Here's where you can find what I've shared: My Systems
v1.05 – 20151127
- To bring people closer by promoting a world where we are all connected, following our unique path and achieving our peak performance.
- To continually learn and expand my potential.
- To deepen connections with others.
- To create, learn and share intimate stories to help others connect.
- To enable others who’s mission and goals resonate with my own.
- Value Self.
- I love myself, am worthy and seek only my own approval.
- I take care of my health – physically, mentally and spiritually.
- I stand by my integrity to do what is right and play the long game.
- I set boundaries, am not afraid of conflict or to question outside authority.
- I take responsibility for getting my needs met, including asking for help.
- I surround myself with worthy and inspiring companions.
- I empathize and seek to understand the other side of the story while playing to win-win.
- I am honest, clear and expressive of my feelings and do not push others away when I am fearful.
- I continue to learn and explore with the beginner’s mind.
- I strive to operate outside my comfort zones and forgive myself when I fail.
- I lean into the uncomfortable fear that accompanies growth.
- I am a leader who provides for and protects those I care for, when appropriate.
- I share my knowledge, wisdom and emotions to illuminate the path for others.
- I hold others up to the light of their potential.
- Act from a place of love, not fear or anger.
- Move now, do faster, be direct.
- Discipline = Freedom. Leverage it to accomplish my goals.
- When in doubt – if it will make a good story, and I expect to come back alive – do it.